Meet Pinhead

You may have noticed the natural progression among some of us fiber freaks. For me, it started with sewing. I learned to sew so I could learn to quilt. And then I fell headlong in love with fabric. Then, of course, I had to learn to make the fabric. My grandmother, with whom I was very close, was a big knitter. Some of my best memories involve her knitting (or needlepointing) and watching the Red Sox play on TV. So, I re-learned to knit.

I couldn't stop knitting once I started. The first project I completed was a sweater. It's not the most interesting pattern - just four rectangles and rolled edges. But it is still pretty. I taught everyone in the neighborhood (except Mary L, she remains a holdout, although she does many other fabulous things. In fact, for my birthday one year, she beaded a dragonfly onto a t-shirt for me. Beautiful!)

I knew very early on that I was going to have to learn to spin. My favorite blog reading is about spinning. The pictures of the roving, then the singles on the bobbin, then the lovely plied yarn. I bought a spindle kit from an ebay store and a pound of dark blue superwash roving and began that very frustrating odessey that is learning to spindle spin. Last year at MD Sheep and Wool, I sat down at wheels and tried a bunch out and, with the help of some very kind people at Carolina Homespun, bought my first wheel. It's a Lendrum and spinning on it makes me very happy.

My usually lovely husband began to notice the yarn piling up and suggested I start a business selling it. I think he thought I'd sell a few skeins on ebay and be happy (Although he should have learned when, years ago, he suggested I cut back on meat during the school semester because I was unhappy with my weight at the time, and I became a vegetarian for thirteen years.) Now, of course, I'm trying to ditch my social work career and be a full-time fiber freak.

As important as color is to me, dyeing fiber and yarn became the next logical step. And then came Christmas. The lovely husband, hoping to contribute something to the business, gave me a set of fine cloth hand carders that he had purchsed from Adrian at Hello Yarn. He even asked her questions about which one to buy - and got the right one! Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize that he'd just thrown the door wide open to another level of fiber feakiness!

I had to have something to do with the hand cards, so I bought a Romney fleece from the Pitchfork Ranch. The sheep to whom this fleece belonged is called Pinhead. Here is Pinhead in the box. Lovely white niceley crimped (that's what gives your wool it'ds bounciness) locks with 4" - 6" staple length. Medium "fineness" (I've forgottend what that term is).

Next up: what I'mm doing with this only slightly stinky box of wonders.